Sunday, December 9, 2007

Life is Eternal

I wanted to post a segment of the talk I gave in Sacrament meeting today.

Two weeks ago I went to Salt Lake to the blessing of my cousins first child, Leah Jane. As I thought about her blessing in relation to my talk, I realized what unique experience I had witnessed. This blessing was the first step in her mortality as a daughter of God. Leah is fortunate. She was born to her parents who were sealed in the temple under the new and everlasting covenant. If her parents remain true to this agreement, Leah will be beneficiary to those covenants by being in a home filled mostly with peace, love, protection, and understanding. I hope Leah’s life as a faithful Latter-day Saint will move from a baby receiving a priesthood blessing to a child of God receiving baptismal covenants, to a woman entering into temple covenants, to serving a mission, to a wife being sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, and finally to an exalted daughter returning home to our Heavenly Father’s open arms. This is our Journey as saints.
What amazing things await us if our covenants remain unbroken.

"How blessed we are to be God’s covenant people. To the faithful Saint, the Lord has promised, "All that my Father hath shall be given unto him" (D&C 84:38). The greatness of that promise is hard for mortals to understand. The commandments he gives are for our benefit, and as we are faithful we may forever share the blessings and beauties of heaven and earth. We may live in his presence and partake of his love, compassion, power, greatness, knowledge, wisdom, glory, and dominions."
Our Covenants are an expression of our faith. Covenants should help us focus on the big picture and not just the immediate. As my friends and family members have served missions, I have seen covenants further the work of the Lord. Covenants help us make a difference in the lives of others. Covenants should make the choice of righteousness easier.
I bear my testimony that we can come unto Christ and be perfected in him by our worthy participation in the sacred ordinances appointed by God. I treasure the covenants my Heavenly Father has made with me and with all my heart hope to live faithful to them.

3 comments:

sara said...

What a beautiful talk or a portion of it anyway. It made me cry thinking about how much you have grown up in the last few years for you to have this kind of perspective and these thoughts and feelings. You sound like a missionary already. I am trying to gear up for these next 2 weeks and it is very exciting but also very emotional thinking of you leaving. I know you'll be strong I hope that all of us at home can be too.

morgan said...

Whitney, this makes me feel so blessed to have you in my life and to hear you such beautiful things of our sweet baby Leah. It makes me realize the great responsibility that I have to remain faithful and a good example,and I only hope that I can be as wonderful as you in that perspective. I agree with Sara that you sound like a missionary already. I'm so excited for you and have no doubt that this will be the best experience yet and you will absolutely love it. And we, in turn will be blessed for sending you on your mission. Just know that we love you so much and will see you soon!

Shelley said...

Dear whitney,
Thanks for posting your talk. I'm glad that someone put into words the thoughts and feelings we all have at those times. We are blessed to have you in our lives and we will all be blessed as you go and preach the gospel. This will change your life as much as anything could. I know you are doing the Lord's work. Love you much, Shelley