Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sister Becks Talk

I found this post on someone else blog, I have read some of her stuff and I like what she says. I agree with her comments and I want to know what you, my readers, think.

Having been extremely busy the past few days, I now have a stock pile of blog posts saved for slower days to come. I look forward to posting pictures accompanied by comments illustrating the visit we had from the police and firefighters last week. I have a light hearted post planned which spotlights a hideously tragic pair of 1987 shorts which my husband will not part with, even though all signs point to DESERET INDUSTRIES. Today though, I feel I need to document my gratitude for the Lord's counsel.
In case you haven't noticed, I am always considering my role as a mother, mostly because motherhood (for me) often feels complex. I know I am late to the game, and like Wendy, my thoughts are not an address to the offense many have taken to Sister Beck's talk. The purpose of this post is to publicly ( the public being my 5 readers and anyone else who happens to wander upon my blog) proclaim that I now know that I know.
My heart already knew, but sometimes my head was turned by talk of worthwhile activities which I am unable to participate in because of 2 small children and a breastfeeding baby. I've been tempted by voices which tell me to stop breastfeeding, 11 months is long enough. I've been tempted by those who have told me 3 children is more then enough, that I am old, and that my childbearing skills are lacking to begin with. I am tempted by all the 'good' things I could be doing with my time instead of caring for another newborn and devoting myself as a homemaker.
But I know, and now I've been reminded that I know. I don't know if I will regret not having the opportunity right now to read more books, run more miles, see a movie, go to parties, or go on vacations. I know for sure that I will regret not having one more child. I know that I will regret not rising to my full possible stature as a mother. Sister Beck's talk invigorated me. I felt her words were timely. I felt the Lord answering my questions through her. I will proudly wear the title homemaker. Is there anything more important that I could be doing right now?

Besides, I believe some of my homemaking 'fruits' to be beautiful works of wonder.

No comments: